Thursday 6 February 2014

Horror...horror...Tenant from hell!

Yesterday, my friend Azah called. Well, that's not the news. We always calling each other every other day. However, it wasn't a social call. She is having a problem with her tenant.

The tenant refuse to move out. What can she do? Get court order. She said why too messy? That's the way it is. The law doesn't protect you Mrs. Landlord!

Azah gave me assignment to sell her property in April 2013. The property comes with tenant that has been renting since 2004. She is a Sometimes-I-Pay-Sometimes-I-Dont kind of tenant. Azah put up with her because she have never miss payment more than two moths.  I made request for tenant's cooperation for viewing. Easy peasy, the tenant give the OK.  My first visit to the unit, I was beyond shock. Kitchen - greasy. Bathrooms - moldy. Walls - full of contengan. Lights - no bulb. Doors - broken. Doorknobs - not working.

I have to negotiate with Azah as owner, to reduce the price as to attract buyers and she don't need to spend on repair, initially she refuse however after three rejections, she agreed.  Now I wonder if the tenant purposely not cleaning the house so they can stay longer. From April to end December I have brought about 7 or 8 potential buyers. From investors to own usage but no such luck. Most has given me the condition of the unit as reason. 

Again I consulted Azah to remove the tenant as they are the hinder to sell the property. Moreover, once the tenant out she can get the unit repainted, clean all rooms and bathrooms and sell it at market value. She took my advise and given notice to tenant in January and expect her to vacant the unit by end of February. 

Then the nightmare begin yesterday, the tenant told her that she has bank in this month rental and will not move out until June and with condition that if she manage to find a house. Best part, the amount deposited is RM100 lesser. You see, the tenant did not make January's payment and expect to live till June. 

What can you do when you have a nightmare tenant? The only way, get court order to evict them.  PRoperty Insight has an article bout it  here

My friend case made me feels frustrated because I sold properties with tenant from hell before. So why can't I close this one? 

In 2010 I sold one unit of double storey link house in Seksyen 7 Shah Alam. The house was a total rundown, the tenant did not made payment for almost one year. The owner has cut water supply and the tenant creatively put up pipe to main pipe -_-

Sold it to kind hearted UiTM lecturer who let the tenant to live for another 3 months.

In 2013, I sold one unit of condominium that being used as 'international hostel'. There was Indonesian, Nepalesse, Bangladeshi and unidentified nationality  guy staying there. They put up separators to create rooms.  For three months I showed the unit to potential buyer and no luck. Once the owner removed the tenants, I closed the deal with first viewer.

Anyway, I'm praying for happy ending for my friend's predicament and to tenants out there, please be considerate.

Good night!

btw, this is some pix what the tenant of office at Dataran Otomobil, Seksyen 15, Shah Alam left behind. Luckily manage to clean it before I let their potential tenant see it last month.

.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Taking Care of Our Elderly

As we count our wrinkles, noticing new pain on our joints and all other changes on our body we sometimes forget that our parents, too, grow...